12.08.2005

Mexican Slaw

This idea is based on a cabbage slaw from a catered Mexican lunch I once had. I asked the catering company over and over for them to bring it back but now they just serve sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, I don’t mean to complain but that is BORING! And it doesn’t go with Mexican food. This cabbage slaw is pretty close that I have come up with and it is amazingly low fat and compliments any Mexican style dinner you like. If you are like me and you can eat truckloads of chips and anything, this slaw helps fill you up so you don’t go back for your fifth taco or third plate of nachos. It also is a great salad base instead of lettuce. Just today I made some and topped a big pile of slaw with some ground turkey I had left over from tacos, diced jalapenos and a little salsa verde (green salsa).

½ small green cabbage (shredded)
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1 fresh red or green jalepeno pepper (seeded and diced very small)
juice of one lime
1 tablespoon vinegar (white, rice wine, balsamic, anything)
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt (I like kosher or sea salt for this, taste it you may need more)
Dash garlic or onion powder
Dash pepper

Anyway here’s what you do, wash and dry the cabbage (save the other half for a stir-fry). Shred it on the largest cutting edge of a box grater or just chop it into thin strips (not longer than two inches). Juice the lime and add all the other ingredients to the cabbage. Toss and let it all hang out for a bit either on the counter or in the fridge. Taste it and see if it needs more vinegar or sugar. I like a diced jalapeno for heat but you can leave it out. I have also used ½ packet of Splenda instead of sugar and left out the oil if I'm really trying to be good. This goes really well with Asian food too, you can sub 1 teaspoon sesame oil in and chopped peanuts or sesame seeds.

No comments: