12.18.2005

BEANS!!!


This may be one of the most popular and most requested dishes I have ever served. Thankfully it is super easy. These beans are an important if not crucial element to good Taco Bowls (that recipe is also listed). I think they are kind of like baked beans mixed with refried beans. I came up with them when I ran out of refried beans and I had a lot of vegetarians to feed. Most vegetarians are low maintenance but some, well let’s just say they are not. My friend Ledell might be the biggest fan of these beans and is the first person I gave this recipe to. He is a great guy who I work with, he maintains and cleans the facility at MKFilms and he is very specific about what he likes and doesn’t likes, he sometimes thinks I’m trying to kill him with healthy food. He was pissed at me for months for making him try a California Roll with wasabi and soy sauce. The fact that he loves these beans makes me sure that everyone will.

2 cans (15oz) Pinto, Great Northern or Red Beans
1 cube Vegetable or Chicken Bouillon or 1 can broth
½ teaspoon Cumin
½ teaspoon Mexican Oregano (if you don’t have Mexican omit this)
¼ teaspoon dried Chipotle Pepper (or if you have a little chopped up chipotle or adodo sauce use that)
Dash Salt
Dash Pepper
2 teaspoons Olive Oil

In a saucepan heat the oil over medium low heat. Drain and rinse the beans, then add them to the oil. Stir regularly until the beans get sticky and start to have an opaque sauce. Add the dry spices and then 1 ½ cups water (if you use broth don’t add water). The water should just cover the beans but not make them super soupy. Continue to cook uncovered on low until the water/broth has thickened. Check to see if you need more salt or pepper. Serve as a side dish or a filling for tacos, taco bowls or burritos.

No comments: