5.29.2006

Leftover Pork and Beans


Keep reading! I promise this isn’t some gross recipe for how to re-heat a can of pork and beans. THIS is a lesson on fridge raiding. As I looked in longingly wishing there was sugar-free fat free chocolate mousse, Cornell BBQ chicken, fresh tomato salsa, and sweet corn with herb butter, I found ½ roasted pork tenderloin, ½ bag of baby spinach (on it’s last leg), nub of parmesan, and wilting basil. All of these things would have been “past due by tomorrow” but today I had my chance to resurrect them. I would make something new out of leftovers! (Trumpets sound in my head as I think this; if my husband were here he would not hear the trumpets). What I came up with can also be made vegetarian by leaving out the pork (obviously) and substituting veggie broth or water for the chicken broth.

Stars of the Show (Leftovers)

½ pork tenderloin (already enjoyed on a roll as a sandwich)
½ bag baby spinach (already enjoyed as a salad and with scrambled egg whites)
very small block of Parmesan (about to be just the rind and perfect for soup or sauce)
10 or so basil leaves (already enjoyed on whole wheat pizzas)

The Pantry

4 ounces whole-wheat pasta (or any kind)
1-2 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup water
1 teaspoon “Better than Bouillon” (or combine these as ½ cup of broth)
olive oil
red pepper flakes

No comments: