5.01.2006

French Chicken Thighs


This is in honor of every woman who somehow falls in love with a French guy. He might be short, hairy, have crazy teeth, smoke instead of breathe but if he’s the real deal, shipped from France, we’ll fall for him. When I was about 24 my friend Nico came to me to ask would I consider marrying his friend so that he could stay in the country. He showed me a picture and told me he was a chef (hello I love to cook!). I said, “I’d only consider it if he paid for my grad school.” Well he did consider it and I had to meet him. Luckily he was unbelievably gorgeous. But you see I knew I had a funny Irish American guy waiting out there for me… somewhere…whatever the French dude was broke and full of promises.
This recipe takes me back to that time because my friend Nico cooked a lot with wine and I never really had. I remember some Sherry being in our pantry for 19 years but I never remember anyone cooking with it.

Serves 2

2 boneless skinless chicken thighs
4 ounces mushrooms (sliced)
Onion (sliced)
1/3 cup dry red wine
1/3 cup water or broth
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Red pepper flakes

In a skillet heat about two teaspoons olive oil. Sauté the onions and mushroom over medium heat until they are getting soft but not too done. Move them to the edges of the pan, add the chicken thighs and sprinkle each generously with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown. Add the wine and let the alcohol cook off for a bout a minute. Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium/low. Cook for another 4 minutes or so then remove the lid and add as much of the water or broth as you like (I used 1/3 cup because I like a little sauce but if you want it drier don’t use any). Serve with Rice or Risotto.

A note on chicken thighs for the other Weight Watcher Point whores like myself, I know they have more fat than chicken breast but the advantage is the intense flavor and the portion control. Some chicken breasts are a ½ pound or more each. Each chicken thigh is just about 4 ounces or less and 3-4 points. Just go for it you whimp.

1 comment:

mjcr77 said...

Great little recipe. I was thinking what to do with a load of frozen chicken thighs and some leftover red wine in my kitchen. Hey presto, your blog came up first on google! Delicious and cooking after my own heart. Simple, unpretentious and downright tasty.