2.15.2006

Date Night Talapia


This recipe is based on a dish I order over and over again at one of my favorite restaurants Las Mananitas in Chicago. The restaurant is very special to my husband Tim and I because we call it “our place.” All the waiters know us there because we sometimes go once a week. We went there to celebrate when I was a finalist for a TV show (Wickedly Perfect, I know I am glad I didn't get on, it was terrible) and when my husband got hired to perform for Second City and numerous other occasions that we have invented to give us a reason to go. We also went on one of our first dates there. Now, this restaurant is in the middle of Boys Town, which if you are not from Chicago is a gay neighborhood. The décor of Las Mananitas is kind of South Beach, very pastel, you get me? So of course it would make perfect sense to have one of our first romantic dates there. Just picture these two straight, pale, curly haired dorks oogling over each other. We are lucky they ever let us back in.


1 lb Talapia (fresh or fozen fillets)
2-3 tbsp sliced green olives with pimentos
1-2 tbsp diced pickled jalapeno (or leave them as slices)
2 tbsp capers
1 cup diced sweet onion (white or yellow is fine too)
2 cups chicken broth (or one can 15ounce)
2 tbsp olive oil
1-2 tsp dried Mexican Oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper and paprika
lime wedges (garnish)

Okay sauté the onions on medium (in a large skillet with a lid) for a minute or two in 1 Tbs. of oil, add the oregano and garlic powder. Swirl around then add the capers, jalapenos and olives. Increase the heat to med high add broth and fish and cover, cook for about 3-4 minutes (5-6 if the fish is frozen when you put it in) until the fish is white throughout. Serve with a sprinkle of paprika, drizzle of olive oil, dash of salt and lime juice.
This is also great with some thinly sliced carrot or diced tomatoes added. The real clincher is that Mexican Oregano if you can’t find it email me I’ll send you some, seriously I will.

No comments: