1.26.2006

Tim’s Current Favorite Pasta

My husband Tim can eat the same things over and over. Right now he’s on a vegetarian Corn Dog kick. But that works to my advantage if I have made something he really likes and I have leftovers. I love beans and greens type pasta and Tim has enjoyed it but when I came up with this ground turkey, beans and pasta version he really flipped his lid. We have been trying to eat healthier so I used extra lean turkey in this but you could also chop a skinless chicken breast in the food processor or use the fattier turkey or ground beef. Also I used whole-wheat pasta, now if you don’t like whole-wheat pasta you may just have to keep trying it and get used to it. It’s the wave of the future. There is going to be whole-wheat pasta at the Olive Garden soon, you can quote me on that. And a Kraft Mac and cheese box with “whole grain pasta” too.

1/2 finely chopped onion
1 carrot or 8-10 baby carrots finely chopped
1 stalk celery finely chopped
Olive Oil
1 can beans, drained and rinsed (I like Great Northern)
1 can Chicken broth or 2 cups
1/2 pound whole-wheat pasta
1/2 pound extra lean ground turkey (all white if you can find it)
Salt, Pepper, Red Pepper flakes, Garlic Powder, Dried Basil
Grated Parmesan Cheese
(serves 4-6)

In a large skillet, heat (on medium) about 1 tablespoon olive oil (try not to use extra virgin). Add the vegetables and about a teaspoon of salt. If you are lazy like me chop the onion, carrot and celery in the food processor until they are the size of grains of rice (or a little bigger). Sauté until they are getting soft about 5 minutes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil with a generous amount of salt (my Uncle Tony likes to say that “generous” as a measurement). Whole-wheat pasta needs some help so use 1-2 teaspoons of salt in the water. Cook the pasta until it is still a little chewy, and then drain (don’t rinse or add oil to it). Add the beans and continue to cook on medium heat for another few minutes. In another large skillet brown the ground turkey (spray the pan with some cooking spray first). Add ¼ teaspoon of salt and pepper and Garlic powder to the ground turkey. If you like (I like) add a sprinkle or two or red pepper flakes and basil. Add the turkey to the vegetable bean mix then add the chicken broth and allow everything to come to a boil. Add the pasta and serve with Parmesan. It’s a pain to juggle three pots and pans but I swear it’s worth it.

No comments: